Friday 4 May 2012

Neiman Marcus cookies

Hi guys........I read this really interesting post at Melissa's blog..and just had to share it with all of you.I haven't yet made the cookies..but I will..right now I have the sniffles and don't feel like doing a thing(sniff!).....OK ...nuff said..read what the lady has to say.. . . .from-    baking makes things better ..(.people no matter how many times I've tried to correct and update the sequence of events ....blogger refuses to oblige.....the first two paragraphs are at the end of the post...then continue )
“This is a true story... Please forward it to everyone that you can.... You will have to read it to believe it.I called Neiman's Accounting Dept. and told them that the waitress said it was "two-fifty," which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any POSSIBLE interpretation of the phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge.. They would not refund my money, because according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe - we absolutely will not refund your money at this point." I explained to her the criminal statutes which govern fraud in Texas. I threatened to refer them to the Better Business Bureau and the State's Attorney General for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "Do what you want, we dont give a damn, and we're not refunding your money." I waited a moment, thinking of how I could get even,or even try to get any of my money back. I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250.00, and now I'm going to have $250.00 worth of fun."
..
I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus... for free..She replied, "I wish you wouldn't do this" I said, "Well you should have thought of that before you ripped me off", and slammed down the phone on her.. So, here it is!!! Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250.00 dollars for this... I don't want Neiman-Marcus to ever get another penny off of this recipe....”
This letter has been doing the rounds on email since 1996....I think it sounds authentic enough...anyway for me..the cookie recipe rules....its great....though when I  do mke this I would go  with 1/4 th the recipe.....if you try these out before I  do let me know how they turned out.:)
the recipe
2 cups butter
680g chocolate chips
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
500g chocolate, grated
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder, I used oat bran instead)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (optional, I used peanuts)

Preheat the oven to 180°C.  Cream the butter and both sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with the flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.  Add chocolate chips, grated chocolate and nuts.  Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes.





My daughter and I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus Cookie". It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown "I'm afraid not." Well" I said, "would you let me buy the recipe?"
 With a cute smile, she said YES". I asked how much and she responded, "Only two fifty, it's a great deal!" I said with approval, "just add it to my tab".. Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe - $250.00". That's outrageous!!!

12 comments:

  1. I read this mail many times too.If you do try this out...lemme know how it turns out...will try myself then

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, even I have read this letter somewhere, has anybody tried this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting.. never seen this before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. something interesting. if you try this let us know

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is quite a popular recipe, had heard the story somewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neimans cookies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting.. though it doesn't convince me enough.. anyway making these cookies wouldn't be a loss of time.. sounds real yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds really interesting !!!delicious cookie recipe !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohh...the story sounds new and they shouldn't have treated a customer to this extent..
    anyhow recipe is too good ..cant wait to giv a try..!
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish u would have posted some pics of these yummyyy cookiessssssssss

    ReplyDelete