Tuesday 8 May 2012

lazy cooks kheer(creamy rice pudding)

Hi guys..I was all set to try out those cookies(neiman marcus)but I had to buckle down and concentrate on completing an order for cake and chocolates,which is when I decided to make kheer....because its the easiest thing in the world......and soooo very tasty!
Before I start with the recipe..I must tell you,taday was the day I decided to start my new diet(I just want to lose a little weight....OK...make that a lot of weight).Starving..aka..dieting is beyond me...so I decided that I would have a late breakfast....an early dinner  and fruits for lunch.There I was .9am..breakfast for a king....1.30pm..lunch time..a big bowl of watermelon....and I walked off for my a'noon siesta(Horrid...I know)..3.30pm I helped myself to lunch....and I'm seriously looking forward to dinner!Why.....why doesn't praying help to shed the extra tyres???I promise to pray each and every day..dear god..please make me slim!BTW...........this kheer is great as a dessert............or even as a snack!
INGRDS
3/4 cup basmati rice...wash and soak the rice for atleast half an hour
2 l milk(full fat.....please I insist)
4-5 cardamom pods
12 teaspoons of sugar
a few saffron strands soaked in half cup of warm milk
1/2 cup of almonds(blanched)(dipped in boiling water..left for a while...then peel the skin off)
1/2 cup of cashewnuts(soaked in 1 cup of water)
a handful of raisins
METHOD
1.Put the rice and milk together in a heavy bottomed pan,stir once in a way..let it come to a boil..then reduce the heat and let it simmer away...........just remember to stir once in a while.
2.Grind the almonds and the cashew(without water)...I normally do not grind this smooth...keep it granular..with some biggish pcs.
3.After what seems like an eternity,the rice would've cooked and the milk reduced...we're looking for a nice and creamy kheer.....add the ground nuts,raisins and the sugar...keep stirring...now would be a good time to taste and see whether more sugar is needed or not...add the soaked saffron..stir again.
4.Refrigerate....and serve cold.Garnish with some almonds

Another garnish that looks really nice is some chopped up desi gulab(an edible and extremely fragrant rose variety)

 These are the cakes that I had done recently.
They are both dark chocolate cakes,sandwiched with whipped cream(with a hint of rum).....the icing on the first one is whipped cream sprayed with wilton's golden spray.............the second one is covered in truffle icing..and whipped cream..and golden spray.





One reason why this goes to this event ......because both the cake and the kheer were taught to me  by my mom!
sending this tosrav's culinary concepts

29 comments:

  1. Very creamy and delicious kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the kheer! I use cashews in place of almonds. I should try once using almonds. Your kheer looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg,thats a super irresistible and rich looking kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice creamy kheer and the cakes look beautiful dear, especially the first one..

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice kheer and cakes.. they look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. All looks very yummy and perfectly made. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cakes look absolutely yummy.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This all looks gorgeous! I just bought this beginner cake decorating set, and I am REALLY excited about it. I'm going to test it out very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. kheer luks super yum..hope u turn slim in no time..Cakes luks so perfect

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum to both! I love kheer too, got to be one of my favourite desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice super delightful kheer !! yummy !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Mom's Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice n yummy kheer, cakes look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...kheer is my favorite..YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kheer looks superb and love your gorgeous cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy looking kheer, and beautiful cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummm..It is night time n sugar cravings..want this right now <3

    love
    http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the kheer and lovely cakes too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummyy Yummyyy cakeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kheer and cake looks awesome & YUMMY!!! I'm gonna make this kheer tomorrow :) Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow....amazing!!


    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Great. Very interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow....super yummy Kheer.......shedding weight is after all a difficult task dear.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simran if you like reading the kareena kapoor's dietician's book on weight loss is a fun read-- lots of sane advise and the best part is it recommends easting 5 times a day-- I tried it and its a quick way to loose those 2- 5 kg!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks healthy & tasty
    the cake looks yummy too
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kheer is my favorite Indian desserts and your's looks amazing! The cake looks superb too!

    ReplyDelete