Monday 30 April 2012

lazy cooks fried okra/karari bhindi

Hi...........deep fried okra,karari bhindi,jaipuri bhindi..so many names....in my house its known as crispy bhindi......also the only way my family has this veg!....yup..pretty unhealthy tastes these fellas have!Infact a couple of months back I baked this(put olive oil on a baking tray.and shoved it in the oven for  20-25 mins) ......anyway..at the end of the baking time,the veg was very wierd..it was dry....... and we were sitting around like a bunch of cows chewing cud..it was that chewy.The conclusion we arrived at was that we really like the deep fried version, the  baked version was not for us.
INGRDS
1/2 kg okra(washed,patted dry,topped n tailed)
1 tblsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp red chilli pdr
1 tsp ajwain(bishop seeds,carom )
salt to taste
1 tsp dhania (corriander seeds)pwdr
1/2 tsp garam masala pdr
1heaped tblsp of chickpea flour(besan)
1 tsp rice flour
veg oil for deep frying
METHOD
1.Cut the okra into thin 1 inch pcs.....take a topped n tailed okra..cut into half lenghtways,now cut each half into 3 pcs..then cut them into 1 inch pcs.
2.Sprinkle all the spices,mix in the ginger garlic paste the lemon juice ,salt..then toss in the chickpea and rice flour....toss till nicely mixed...then deep fry till golden brown....this does take time..so I would advice you to excercise patience and hang around..not go of to check your mail..because if you do that then the chances are that it might fry a little too much..I'm just saying....not that I would ever do something like this..but you know!..OK I did that and had to throw away one lot!..So people just hang around on a medium high flame just deep fry these....drain on absorbent paper...and we're done.
3.This is an excellent side dish.........have this with rice and dal......or with chichen curry roti..it tastes great.



 



On a completely different note......my son turned 14 on the 27th.He refused to have a party..and then didn't want to go out for dinner(!)...I asked him what cake he wanted..he mumbled icing cake.....so this is what I did ,when he saw the cake he mumbled  .."but mama I said ice cream cake"I must confess my first reaction was to ask him to take diction classes somewhere....but being the birthay boy and all..(and I figured another 5 years of driving me crazy)I told him that would get done later..right now cut the damn chocolate cake with truffle icing..covered with buttercream.......your "icing cake"........either he learns to speak more clearly or I need to get a hearing aid!

27 comments:

  1. I love this kurkuri bhindi...and so does everyone in my family.BTW We call it Kurkuri Bhindi...so you have one more name for the same dish.
    I love the cake too...and yeah kids do get on your nerves with things like this but nevertheless we gotta spoil birthday boys/ girls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. crisp and crunchy masala bhindi ..favourite at my place too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. inviting & very tempting..very well done..:)
    happy bday to your loving son..!
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried bhindi looks very nice.... Convey my wishes to ur son...

    ReplyDelete
  5. super yummy .............and belated B'day wishes to your sweet son....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crispy and yummy bhindi, and wishes to the b'day boy..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very tasty dish. Crunchy and full of flavour X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crispy and delicious yummy .Belated bday to ur sweet and cute one..One award is on my space pls collect it

    ReplyDelete
  9. crispy and yummy bhindi..belated wishes to ur son dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice crunchy and delicious one !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Spring Seasonal Food

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha had a good laugh reading ur sons ice cream cake story....happy b'day to him....I recently saw this bindi fry on TV and was waiting for a chance to make it...thanks for sharing it dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fried bhindis looks super crispy and addictive..Belated birthday wishes to ur son..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never tried bindi fry in this style looks so diff..my wishes to ur sonn..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crispy delicious fry..First time here...Nice space...Wishes to your son..

    ReplyDelete
  15. this type of bhendi fry never tried..luks yumm.vl try next time.....n Blated B.day wishes 2 ur son..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bhindi is my favorite recipe !! Love it when it's fried :))

    Love the cake !! Happy birthday to your son !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. belated ahppy birthday to your sonnu boy. the incident is funny but am sure he must have loved this cake. the bhindi fry looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, that's hilarious! I don't think I would object to eating this cake, it looks oh so tasty! But the main dish, wow! I've never tried anything like that, but I think I might soon, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A new dish for me, that looks awesome! Great looking cake! Belated birthday wishes to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We also call this preparation 'Crispy Fried Bhindi'...In fact we made it yesterday!! I have not tried it baking and thanks to your post, now I know that it is best fried and not baked.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love okra. We eat it in so many ways. so def. a way to try.. I can see you are just one short for 100 followers:)
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love crisp fried bhindi either as a snack or with dal chawal. This looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. bhindi is one of our family favorites !!!!this is a must try recipe...bookmarked !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Simran,
    Getting to know that even desserts could be healthier, we fell head over heels for “Mango Cup Cakes”!

    You call it lazy, but it was just the other way round, esp, “Karari Bhindi”.

    Yes, we would love to feature your culinary skills on our global platform.

    This is an exclusive space for your penmanship, where you can publish your unique culinary outputs in the form of brief food blogs.

    That too you’re the one, who’s going to own this space! We would like to pass it on to others by featuring it on our global platform!

    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/food-recipes/poori-indian-puffed-fried-bread_post_7859
    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/food-recipes/chocolate-pie-easy-to-make-pie_post_7854
    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/food-recipes
    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/

    Sulekha.US would be glad to present your food blog to the Indian communities living abroad. We would love to connect them through one of the most vital channels i.e. food.

    It’s all yours and you’re going to own an exclusive food blog with Sulekha to share your recipes along with their back links.

    We would promote it across our wall and social media.

    Featuring your recipes on our home page would be a perk for our eager Indians, who are waiting for Desi recipes and baked goodies ranging from ‘grand’ to ‘on the go’.

    Sharing your passion for cooking might rejuvenate the taste buds and senses of millions of Indians living abroad. We’re awaiting your valuable reply.

    Bon Appetite!

    Thanks & regards,
    Hamida, Content Manager, Sulekha US
    HasanulhameedhaS@sulekha.net


    ReplyDelete